If you rent out your property for short term rental accommodation or holiday letting, such as Airbnb, it’s important to be compliant to keep guests safe and your interests protected. 

In line with the state-wide Short-Term Rental Accommodation (STRA) planning policy made on April 9, 2021, some changes have now come into effect as of November 1, 2021. 

With that in mind, now is the time to make sure you’re are compliant with these changes and aren’t caught off guard with fines for non-compliance, or worse, a fire emergency in the building. 

Renters and owners need to be equally protected, and this is where we come in. As an industry-leading fire protection company, we’ve been servicing the needs of STRA hosts and tenants for years. 

With our expert assistance, you can keep people and property protected and prevent being liable in the case of a fire. 

How Have the Regulations Changed?

The updated requirements include new standards for evacuation plans, smoke alarms and fire extinguishers, and new regulations requiring all STRA premises to be registered. 

The new framework outlines exempt development pathways for hosted and non-hosted short-term rental accommodations for specific LGA’s. 

New legislation now requires owners to:

  • Install evacuation diagrams in each bedroom and behind the main entry door
  • Make sure all EFSM are up to standard and provide a certificate 
  • Develop an Emergency Advice Sheet and install interconnected smoke/heat alarms 
  • Be registered on the Government-run STRA register to confirm compliance with the new fire safety standards.

What Are You Required to Do? 

Smoke Alarms: 

Smoke alarms must comply with AS3786 and be installed on the hallway’s ceiling outside bedrooms on each storey. They must all be interconnected and powered by either the main electricity supply or a ten year Lithium battery.

Evacuation Diagrams:

There must now be an evacuation diagram within each bedroom and behind the main entry door. These must be created in accordance with AS3745 and, at a minimum, show the fire equipment locations in the building, exit points, emergency assembly points and evacuation routes. 

General Emergency Advice Sheet: 

As part of the new legislation, STRA hosts will be required to provide tenants with a General Emergency Advice sheet that includes:

  • Location and contact details of the nearest hospital, fire station, and police station
  • Contact numbers for Emergency Services
  • Building management details (if applicable) 
  • Site map directing them to the emergency assembly area 

Emergency Advice Sheets need to be installed behind the main entry door. 

Portable Fire Extinguishers and Blankets:

Having a fire blanket and fire extinguisher is not compulsory for all buildings; however, we recommend that all homes have at least one. 

Not all Class 1 buildings need them, but Class 2 (residential apartment buildings) and Class 4 (STRAs that are part of a commercial complex) must have a fire blanket & fire extinguisher installed.

This might seem like an extensive list, but we have you covered with simple, cost-effective and compliant fire safety packages specifically for STRA owners.  

Which Buildings Are Classed as Short-Term Rental Accommodation?

All lawfully constructed dwellings that are permitted to be used as residential accommodation in all land-use zones can be used for short-term rental. Exemptions to this include:

  • boarding houses
  • seniors’ housing
  • rural workers’ dwellings
  • group homes
  • hostels
  • refuge or crisis accommodation
  • build-to-rent housing
  • co-living housing
  • Moveable dwellings (caravans, tents, or glamping accommodation)

Where Do I Register My STRA?

Anyone wishing to rent out short-term accommodations should have registered on the STRA before November 1, so you must do so immediately if you haven’t yet. 

Registration requires proof of consent from the property owner and verification that the properties they manage are compliant with the fire safety standards defined in the policy. 

Hosts are also required to pay a registration fee of $65 for the first 12 months, with an annual renewal fee of $25.

If you’re looking for assistance to register your accommodation, visit the NSW Government Planning Portal, create an account, and complete the form. 

Here at Betta Fire Protection, we can help you with these new standards and get the fire safety standards compliant with our dedicated fire safety packages. 

We install, inspect, maintain and repair all fire safety equipment. We can also assess your property and have our experts draw up a tailored evacuation plan and advice sheet to install on-site. 

For more information on the new regulations, call Betta Fire Protection today on (02) 8669 9100.